Thursday, August 18, 2011

Let's Talk About Sex, Baby

Sorry it has been a while since my last post. Finding enough time to actually sit down and write has been tougher than I thought. Anyway...

From the moment I have even thought about being a father, I have always wanted to keep the sex of the baby unknown. I know in today's instant gratification and need to know now world, that sort of thinking is very antiquated and old fashioned. Maybe the fact I am older than your average first-time father has something to do with it. Fortunately, I am married to someone who feels the same way; therefore, from the outset of this experience Joanna and I decided we were not going to find out if we were having a boy or a girl until the little critter actually appears in the world. Obviously, this is a personal choice and I do not look down on those that do find out what the sex is prior to the actual birth; however, the reaction we have gotten from many has ranged from apathetic to proud to almost angry.

To be honest, not finding out the sex of the baby has not been as difficult as I thought it would be. Joanna and I were able to agree on some very nice gender neutral colors to paint the nursery and coming up with a neutral theme was not a monumental challenge (pictures of the nursery will be posted once it is completed). The hardest part has been trying to explain to some who ask if we are having a boy or a girl why we are not finding out.

First, the only reason we need to give is because we don't want to. Secondly, it is one of the few remaining surprises left in the world and planning for the unknown is pretty exciting. Unfortunately, for some these answers have not been enough. To be fair, most of the responses have been either a shrug of the shoulders or supportive of this decision. Some, however, have gotten very upset and confused about this decision. They can't understand how we are able to plan or how we can see a sonogram of the baby and not want to know. A lot of these people we don't even know very well so I am not sure why they care, but to each their own. I think some are frustrated because they are not sure what to give us as a gift. If you are one of those, cash or gift cards are GREAT gifts!!! :-)

The best part of not knowing the gender is hearing all the crazy ways people KNOW exactly what we are having. They range from what Joanna is eating/craving, how oversized shirts hang over her belly, if she sleeps on her side or back, etc. And of course, everyone has an opinion and it has been a fun to hear all of the theories. Several family and friends have "wished" a girl on me for my many playful remarks about the softer gender over the past several years. I am quite certain, if it is a girl, she will have me wrapped around her little finger in no time! For the record, I am convinced it's a girl and Joanna is convinced it's a boy. I will take suggestions on what the wager should be between us on this one!

The only challenge remaining for us regarding the sex of the baby is picking names. Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I am betting it is a girl for no particular reason. If it is a girl, I will very much so enjoy watching her wrap you around her finger. I shared with you that my dad was older when I was born and it hasn't had a single negative effect. We are just as close, if not closer, than my friends who have younger parents. Also, I agree with your comment that yall do not need a reason other than you don't want to find out the sex of the baby. It is YOUR baby! When people have their kids, let them do it their way. I already know just what I am getting Baby Britz, it includes "Roll Tide!" As to your blog on your sweet dog, I am sorry for your loss. We lost our family dog at 13 and it is like losing a family member. Have no fear, you can borrow Goose anytime (right Joanna?). I love the story of the day you found out. I am positive your mom was watching over you. Only a few more months and Baby Britz will be here, let the countdown begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who cares what anyone else thinks?! This is your time. Enjoy the ride, and know that either boy or girl will have you wrapped around their fingers. You can spoil both. Personally, I am pulling for a girl, because how ever many years down the road when the first boy comes over, I want to be there to see your interrogation tactics!

    ReplyDelete